6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
, FIT3118, FIT4038
This unit will introduce advanced concepts in the areas of database design, including extended E/R and it's implementation using procedures and packages; data design of unstructured and semi-structured data, like XML and JSON, and it's implementations in database systems.
At the completion of this unit students should be able to:
- design a database model from a given scenario, using the Extended Entity Relationship model;
- create triggers, procedures and functions to enhance the logic stored in a database;
- create XML documents and schemas to represent a given scenario;
- implement, and manipulate, XML structure in a database;
- investigate the use of other semi-structure data, like JSON, in a database.
Examination (2 hours): 60%; In-semester assessment: 40%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- Two hours lectures
- Two hours laboratories
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 2-3 hours of personal study per one hour of lecture time in order to satisfy the reading, tute, prac and assignment expectations.
See also Unit timetable information