6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
One of the following:, , , plus 90 points of any units
This unit will enable students to create new artefacts which utilise developments in information technology. The unit will combine the theoretical and technical skills gained in other units into a problem solving context and allow the students to gain the skills needed to create solutions of problems using technology. Students will learn valuable research and communication skills as they explore and create using a variety of technologies that support the making process. Student will have the opportunity to explore new technologies and undertake the prototyping and refinement process in an environment that supports independent learning. Students will have the opportunity to use technology to solve a problem which is of interest.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Methodically locate and use new technologies to solve a specific problem in a variety of contexts
- Use a variety of techniques to learn new technologies at different levels of depth of understanding and be able to communicate this to others
- Undertake an iterative prototyping process to create a viable solution for a user and be able to demonstrate and communicate the reasons for decisions in the creation of a working prototype
- Reflect effectively on the making process and the value of trial and error
- Be able to articulate how emerging technologies are used in different contexts including social good, HCI, creativity, and ethics
In-semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload equals 12 hours per week comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- One 3-hour studio
- Additional requirements (all students):
- A minimum of 9 hours independent study per week for completing studio and project work, private study and revision.
See also Unit timetable information