6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Enrolment in a pre-service teacher education course
This unit provides mainstream subject teachers with the appropriate support skills to meet the needs of learners from non-English speaking backgrounds in their language and literacy development. One in four learners in Australian schools comes from a home where the main language is other than English. The unit builds students' awareness of learners for whom English is an additional language (EAL). The unit also develops their collaborative approaches towards creating an environment that is conducive to EAL learning across all subject areas to enhance and achieve equal educational opportunities and outcomes.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- enhance understandings of the language-related needs of learners from non-English speaking backgrounds and of ways of meeting those needs
- develop awareness of approaches to learning materials and teaching practices which take account of the diversity in cultural backgrounds and experiences of learners in all classes across the school curriculum
- develop collaborative working relationships between learners in different subject areas
- increase awareness among subject teachers of the needs of EAL learners and the ways in which subject teachers and EAL specialists can work together to meet these needs.
Reading log (2400 words, 60%)
Practical application: Development of tailored materials and pedagogical approaches (1600 words equivalent, 40%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 24 contact hours per semester
- Additional requirements
- independent study to make up the required minimum hours per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
For course 1641:
Education - SecondaryEducation - Secondary (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2013handbooks/aos/education---secondary/)
For course D3001: