6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
This unit builds students' capacity to research teaching and learning in particular educational contexts. Students apply some of the principles and methods of educational research they have learned about by developing a literature review related to the proposal developed in/ . They then demonstrate their capacity to generate and use data ethically via a small-scale research project related to their particular discipline and specialisation. This is focused on examining practice in an education setting, school or classroom, using methods that may include focus groups, interviews, self-study, action research or participant observation. Finally, students demonstrate a clear and coherent exposition of the knowledge they have gained through the presentation of their findings to their peers and in a research communication task.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- further build their capacity to research teaching and learning
- demonstrate their capacity to generate and use data ethically
- conduct a research project related to their particular discipline and specialisation
- demonstrate a clear and coherent exposition of the knowledge they have gained in written and oral forms.
Literature review (2400 words, 60%)
Research communication (1600 words or equivalent, 40%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Requirements for on-campus block City-based students:
- one intensive weekend block
- at least 4 hours of active online engagement in Moodle activities per term
- Additional requirements for all students:
- independent study to make up the required minimum hours per semester
See also Unit timetable information