6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
This unit introduces students to advanced theoretical and pedagogical concepts associated with the teaching of science in the primary years of schooling along with sustainability as a cross-curriculum priority. The unit explores the nature of science learning and teaching in a primary setting and how the overarching area of sustainability draws from and is inextricably linked with concepts of environmental studies and other areas of science. Students explore, critically analyse, evaluate and transform information from the relevant aspects of the Australian Curriculum and the Victorian Curriculum F-10. Key focus areas include biological, earth and environmental, chemical and physical science studies from Foundation to Year 6. Important conceptual scientific ideas and different pedagogical approaches to the teaching of science and sustainability are explored. The unit draws from a range of world views about science and sustainability to explore how knowledges are culturally constructed. Students work to develop an understanding of how to implement classroom learning experiences for all areas of science and sustainability that are appropriate across cultural contexts at different levels of primary education.
Upon successful completion of this unit students should be able to:
- understand advanced theoretical and pedagogical concepts associated with the teaching of science and sustainability to children
- develop pedagogical content knowledge necessary to teach education for sustainability and relevant content in the areas of biological, earth and environmental science studies from Foundation to Year 6 in the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and the Australian Curriculum
- research and develop understandings of the variety of science and technology curricula and assessment techniques available for planning and evaluating student learning in science and sustainability
- design and implement learning experiences that incorporate environment, sustainability and science at different levels of primary education.
Research essay on science and sustainability (1600 words, 40%)
Research compendium of work from school-based setting demonstrating children's learning in science and sustainability (2400 words equivalent, 60%)
Minimum total expected workload equals 144 hours per semester comprising:
- Contact hours for on-campus students:
- 3 contact hours per week
- Additional requirements:
- independent study to make up the minimum required hours per week
See also Unit timetable information