6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate, Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
Enrolment in the Master of Science.
The unit aims to teach the skills required to visualise and analyse (multivariate statistics) geological, geochemical and geophysical data in 3D, build 3D geological models, build property models (similar to resource estimation) and visualise and extract information from digital outcrop models. The units will expose the students to industry-standard software packages such as R, Orange, Gocad, Leapfrog Geo, Geomodeller, Geoscience analyst.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Import and visualise exploration data in industry-standard 3D modelling packages (LeapFrog Geo, Gocad, Geomodeller, Geoscience analyst)
- Analyse assays and geochemical data using deep learning methods (multivariate statistics) in R and/or Orange
- Understand the concept of implicit modelling
- Build 3D geological models
- Perform geologically constrained interpolation of data and indicator data (derived from classification through deep learning).
Practical work: 60%
- 1.5-hours of lectures and 3-hours of practicals per week
- 1.5-hours of independent study per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Master of Science (Honours)