6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit introduces students to principles of web design. File formats, colour modes, image resolution and bit depth, and preparation of images for on-line delivery. The development, status and potential of delivering information and graphics over digital networks using computers. Variations on network types including Internet and Intranets. Protocols, set-up and file formats commonly used. Motion graphics and on-line delivery of multimedia documents are also covered.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Be able to prepare multimedia documents suited to on-line delivery;
- Be able to identify the different technologies for web design, including mark-up languages, interactive multimedia formats, video/sound streaming, and database systems;
- Understand web page construction and principles, file and site management, and web design for accessibility and usability;
- Be able to use text, images, animation, sound and digital video as multimedia elements in electronic documents;
- Be familiar with colour mode and resolution requirements for a range of electronic media;
- Be aware of a variety of file formats, and be able to optimise a media file for a particular application;
- Be able to understand the role of web design in multimedia.
100% in-semester assessment
12 hours per week including 3 contact hours plus 9 hours of independent study.
See also Unit timetable information