6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
This unit focuses on flood modelling for engineering design. Methods to estimate design flood magnitudes from experimental observations will be presented. Hydrologic and hydraulic routing models will be introduced along with software packages that apply these models.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- run operational hydrologic models.
- parameterize models.
- undertake flood frequency analysis.
- analyse digital terrain models and outlines catchments.
- understand hydraulics and apply hydraulic models.
- understand runoff routing and apply operational routing models.
- understand and apply state updating techniques.
- work both independently and collaboratively on flood management problems.
NOTE: From 1 July 2019, the duration of all exams is changing to combine reading and writing time. The new exam duration for this unit is 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
On-campus - 4 hours lectures/practice and 8 hours of private study per week
Off-campus - 150 hours study
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study