18 points, SCA Band 2, 0.375 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Department of Chemical Engineering
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit offers students the opportunity to work in-depth on a significant project, gain first-hand experience of professional practice in industry, applying skills and knowledge gained to date to a real life situation and study new topics in an industrial context. Projects are set up by the industrial partner and academic supervisor, and include tackling open-ended industrial problems, project management, process safety and process economics. A limited number of places are offered each year, and students are selected by the department on the basis of academic merit and leadership potential approximately 6 months in advance.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Appreciate the importance of professional industrial practice and the application of chemical engineering science in an industrial setting.
- Analyse an open ended industrial problem and develop a practical approach.
- Critically analyse data and develop a new theory or conclusion.
- Demonstrate interpersonal, oral presentation and technical report writing skills
- Function effectively and professionally in an industrial setting according to the principles of management, process economics and process safety
Assignments/Presentations: 50% + Final report: 50%
32 hours industrial training placement work and 4 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information