6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
This unit introduces value added tax (VAT) and includes an examination of the taxation of residents, sole traders, close corporations and companies. It also includes an examination of the tax implications of company distributions and donations. This unit is a requirement for those students following the route to the qualification of Chartered Accountant (South Africa).
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- describe the rules and sections of the act regarding value added tax (VAT) and to apply them to calculate VAT in a variety of business transactions and practical scenarios
- calculate the tax payable on individuals and businesses
- differentiate between categories of business for tax purposes, such as sole traders, individuals, companies and close corporations
- explain and describe how donations are taxed and calculate the tax payable in a given set of circumstances
- explain provisions regarding dividends and apply the relevant principles in a given set of circumstances
- apply critical thinking, problem solving and presentation skills to individual and/or group activities dealing with taxation and demonstrate in an individual summative assessment the acquisition of a comprehensive understanding of the topics covered in BTS3302.
Within semester assessment: 40% + Examination: 60%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information