6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (Evening)
- Second semester 2019 (Evening)
It is recommended that this unit be undertaken in the last semester of study for the Master of Business Law.
This unit is designed to inspire students to explore a business law topic of their choice and to develop an original 8,000 word research paper. The unit provides support to students through initial seminars on legal and general academic research methods, critical analysis and writing skills. Students are also expected to consult individually with the unit teacher(s) to report on their research progress and obtain feedback and advice.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- acquire high-level analytical legal skills and apply them to a research project on a business law topic of their choice
- acquire in depth knowledge and a critical interest in a selected business law area
- attain and demonstrate advanced legal research and communication skills and the ability to critically analyse legal issues
- develop and further build upon general academic skills.
Research project (8,000 words): 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information