6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Wade Halvorson
- Trimester A 2019 (On-campus)
- Trimester B 2019 (On-campus)
This unit is a multi-disciplinary unit that aims to build on students' knowledge of business but with a focus on how technology and technological changes are affecting the business environment. The unit provides students the opportunity to demonstrate being critical and creative scholars and responsible and effective global citizens, and gain an understanding of multi-disciplinary decision-making in organisations. Students will have the opportunity to solve a complex technology problem for a business, and understand the management issues associated with new and complicated technologies. Students will develop and demonstrate their career-readiness in this unit.
The learning goals associated with this unit are to:
- understand the digital world in which you live, and the implications of this world for businesses
- understand IT systems, hardware, software and the cloud at a level appropriate for business students and see how digital technology is affecting different business disciplines
- understand how blockchain is affecting payments systems and evaluate the economic implications of a digital world, including AI, AR and VR and their impacts on employment and other economic outcomes
- understand supply chain, management, and ethical issues resulting from our increasingly digital world.
Within semester assessment: 80% + Examination: 20%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. Independent study may include associated readings, assessment and preparation for scheduled activities. The unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information