6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Summer semester B 2019 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
Section 170A of Criminal Procedures Act 51 of 1977, provides for the appointment of an intermediary for children in cases of sexual abuse for reasons of youthfulness or emotional vulnerability. In accordance with Government Notice No R.1374 issued 30 July 1993, a Child and Youth Care Worker with the relevant training and experience can be appointed as an intermediary. Since this is an avenue for specialisation, the student has the option to choose this unit to complete their CYD major. It will equip them for acting as an intermediary between the child and the court.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Understanding the difficulties children experience in court settings and the effect their memory and suggestibility has on the outcome;
- Using communication in court with regard to semantics, syntax, pragmatics, and question confusion;
- Ability to conduct impact assessments with reference to PTSD and traumagenics;
- Facilitating gradual disclosure and management of the 'child abuse accommodation syndrome';
- Establishing competency of and understanding of the truth by the child witness;
- Demonstrate insight into the judicial process;
- Competency in classifying the child sex offender.
Within semester assessment: 60% + Exam: 40%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information