6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
BHS3130, ATS3749, SCY2150, AZA3852
In this unit, students will identify an issue of interest to them drawn from their undergraduate studies in Behavioural studies, Sociology and/or Gender Studies. Using this topic, students will undertake an extensive review of the relevant academic literature and complete an independent research exercise exploring this topic. This research will be supervised by the Unit Coordinator with input from other staff as appropriate.
Upon completion of this unit, students will have:
- Developed extensive knowledge of a significant issue in contemporary social sciences;
- Engaged with a variety of critical and theoretical debates about this issue;
- Developed the ability to critically evaluate the extant literature about this issue;
- Knowledge of a range of methodological approaches that have been used to examine this issue;
- Developed the ability to communicate in both oral and written formats about this issue;
- Independently developed and completed a significant piece of research.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information