6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
In the 21st century our identities, and our relationships to others, are constructed out of a multitude of interactions - some based in 'real' world institutions such as work and school, others are online and continued at a distant. Our experience of our 'identity' in these contexts can be both destructive and empowering. This Unit will explore political, social and cultural approaches to understanding the politics of identity in the 21st century, the consequences that relationships have for our sense of identity, and how we can understand the variety of human actions that are shaped by these relationships.
Upon successful completion of the unit students should have:
- developed critical thinking skills in a variety of political, social and cultural theories on the nature of identity and human relationships at the start of the 21st century;
- developed a detailed and extensive research skills for gathering knowledge about identity in the 21st century, and to demonstrate a capacity to work with these skills in a group work assessment context;
- developed an ability to identify, explore and make judgments in finding innovative solutions to research problems related to the concepts learned in this unit;
- developed an ability to critically use this literature to communicate perceptively and effectively in oral and written form, and in a logical, coherent and analytical manner about concepts learned in this unit.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information