12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2019
Twelve credit points of second-year Arts units.
Must be enrolled in Bachelor of Media Communication (or related double degrees).
- This unit is a core unit for the Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (https://www.monash.edu/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html).
- The unit may be offered as part of the Summer Arts ProgramSummer Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/summer-program.html).
- The unit may be offered as part of the Winter Arts ProgramWinter Arts Program (http://www.monash.edu/students/courses/arts/winter-program.html).
- This is an internshipinternship (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/internships/) unit that requires an application to be enrolled.
This advanced, final-year unit will contribute to your career development by providing you with an opportunity to complete a major, "hands-on", real-world project that integrates knowledge and skills gained throughout the course in a professional setting. This project will take the form of an individual industry internship - a work experience-based project jointly defined by a host partner organisation and the unit coordinator, undertaken in Australia or internationally. You will be required to recollect, synthesize, and apply knowledge and skills related to your professional media learning project in a reflective project report.
The host partner organisation will appoint a field supervisor for the project although the unit's Chief Examiner remains the principal assessor for the unit.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- design a proposal for a major project relating to an internship utilising broad discipline knowledge of media communication;
- develop and complete a major project relating to an internship utilising applied knowledge, critical thinking, professional judgement and practical skills;
- report on work undertaken for an internship using professional communication skills and reflexive thinking skills;
- undertake an internship or collaborative media co-production with a high degree of independence, accountability, and social awareness.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Bachelor of Media CommunicationBachelor of Media Communication (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2018handbooks/courses/A2002.html)