6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
The unit provides advanced level students an opportunity to engage with contemporary issues and developments in Japan. Using authentic materials, students will strengthen reading, writing and speaking skills and expand knowledge of the Japanese language and culture.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- explain and debate current issues in Japanese through various media and with precision;
- read and comprehend authentic materials, both print and online texts, using online glossaries and dictionaries;
- comprehend spoken Japanese in direct format exposition and audio-visual media;
- utilise research skills to search for information through various sources, formulate ideas and opinions, think critically, and present their ideas in oral and written formats.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information