6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Australian Centre for Jewish Civilisation
Not offered in 2019
ATS1337Not offered in 2019 - Yiddish 1B or an approved equivalent standard
Yiddish 2A is a continuation of first year level Yiddish. The central feature of both Yiddish 2A and 2B will be the more advanced teaching of Yiddish as a living language, as a tool for both written and spoken communication. The course is designed for students who wish to improve their knowledge of the subject both in its literary and conversational form. The course will include use of non-literary texts and exercises to develop grammatical, syntactic and idiomatic mastery of the language. An additional component will utilise Yiddish literary texts of Australia as well as of other countries. Completion of parts A and B will prepare students to continue to an eventual major in the subject.
Upon successful completion of Yiddish 2 students will:
- be able to demonstrate a fluency in reading and writing Yiddish script
- have a working understanding of spoken Standard Modern Yiddish
- acquire the ability to write original short essays in Yiddish; acquire advanced skills required for Yiddish conversation
- have an appreciation of the richness of Yiddish as a rich literary and cultural tradition
- begin to demonstrate a critical appraisal of selected Yiddish authors and poets and their writings
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information