6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
Twelve credit points of first-year Arts units.
The unit provides students with a fundamental understanding of what English as an international language (EIL) is, and allows students to conduct a small-scale project on topics of their interest in the area of English as an International Language. Students will also have the opportunity to learn and critique current issues and research in English as an International Language. This unit provides students with relevant knowledge and skills in doing EIL research related activities and an advanced understanding of how English operates as an international language in multilingual and multicultural contexts.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- define and describe the discipline of English as an International Language (EIL);
- explain how English as an International Language operates in multilingual and multicultural contexts;
- discuss current issues and research in English as an International Language;
- utilise research skills to undertake a short, independent research project.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study