6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Summer semester A 2019 (On-campus block of classes)
, or equivalent/permission
Chinese Intermediate 1 continues the overview of the important sentence structures of modern standard Chinese begun in Chinese Introductory. Equal emphasis is placed on the four skills of reading, writing, listening and speaking. Speaking classes cover practical, everyday situations, to develop interactive competence at a basic level in a range of situations likely to be encountered in daily life in contemporary China. In addition to regular classroom activities, listening and reading skills will be further developed through the use of audio/visual, Web-based and computer-assisted language learning materials.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
- read and write an additional 200 Chinese characters (700 in total).
- critically reflect on the basic syntax of Modern Standard Chinese and on the similarities and differences between it and English.
- employ a grammatical framework to analyse and describe the vernacular Chinese under study.
- orally communicate quantitatively and qualitatively in a range of everyday, practical situations.
- use cultural (socio-political) knowledge to enhance understanding of the texts under study and to communicate using appropriate levels of formality with Chinese from mainland China, Taiwan and various parts of the Chinese Diaspora.
- demonstrate language proficiency equivalent to Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level A2-.
Within semester assessment: 50% + Exam: 50%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information