6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
or by permission
, ATS1022, , ATS2022, APG4002, APG4022, APG5002, APG5022
This unit continues the overview of the important sentence structures of modern standard Chinese begun in Chinese introductory for background speakers 1. It continues to provide training in formal grammatical structures and vocabulary to further develop students' literacy. An oral component is also included. This unit continues to provide students with a basic critical understanding of Chinese society, its values and their evolutions.
- To be able to recognise an additional 500 Chinese characters (900 in total) .
- To be able to write an additional 500 Chinese characters (900 in total).
- To gain an understanding of the basic syntax system of Modern Standard Chinese and of the similarities between it and English.
- To acquire comprehension skills necessary to read simple modern vernacular texts.
- To acquire basic Chinese word processing skills.
- To further develop oral proficiency (approximates to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages A2)
- To further acquire a basic critical understanding of Chinese society, its values and their evolutions
Within semester assessment: 65% + Exam: 35%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information