12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Full year 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 to First semester 2020 (On-campus)
and ASP4220 together, are equivalent to but they enable students to study part-time by allowing completion of the work over a longer time period.
Students are required to select three subunits (covering advanced coursework topics) from offerings within the School of Physics and Astronomy. These subunits are to be selected in consultation with the student's academic supervisor. Some subunits may be chosen from outside the School - with permission from the honours coordinator.
Students will also complete a literature review related to the research project component of their honours course.
On completion of this unit (and) in the context of their selected subunits, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an advanced understanding of astrophysics and related disciplines.
- Synthesise and interpret their knowledge.
- Apply their knowledge and critical thinking skills to the solution of complex problems.
- Plan, and efficiently carry out, work requirements.
- Make effective use of information and communication technology for the collection and analysis of data, the solution of problems and the presentation of their work. Students will also be able to:
- Understand, use and explain the basic concepts and principles of the research literature which underpins their chosen area of research in astrophysics.
Three lecture topics (a mixture of assignments and examinations: 30% each):90%
Literature review: 10%
An average of 24 hours of study per week split between the three sub-units and work on the literature review.
See also Unit timetable information