12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
Architecture Design Research Project is the culmination of the architectural studio stream and consolidates the conceptual understanding and skill base of preceding design studios. It reinforces architectural design as a process of investigation, critical observation, and experiment. Students will demonstrate mastery of design research as a synthetic process encompassing a range of complex issues inherent in the production of architecture: form, material, structure, program, site, history and representation architectural form. Studies in the unit will maintain a focus on developing design as a visual language and process of cultural production with an emphasis on social and environmental sustainability.
Upon successful completion of this unit students will:
- Demonstrate mastery in architectural design;
- Have acquired mastery of architectural design research;
- Have the ability to critically analyse and successfully respond to the complex range of issues inherent in an architectural design project;
- Have developed and demonstrate command of how analysis, experiment and critique apply to the architectural design process;
- Have acquired mastery of all presentation skills: verbal, graphic and 3-dimensional;
- Understand and be able to apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to the unit of study.
100% in-semester assessment
36 hours per week including 6 contact hours plus 30 hours of independent study, or equivalent.
See also Unit timetable information