12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2019 (Flexible)
The unit has a domestic field tripdomestic field trip (http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/currentstudents/field-trips/) component and may incur an additional cost.
The unit will provide students with a detailed understanding of the professional activities of film festivals, including programming, marketing, and daily operations. Students will also learn about the history and cultural imperatives of film festivals and how they operate within local and global environments. Where possible students will be given an opportunity to attend a screening program, seminar, lecture or information component associated with a local film festival. In groups, students will also plan and present ideas for their own film festival.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to :
- explain the professional activities and issues involved in the running of a film festival or screening program;
- evaluate the aims and modus operandi of selected case studies of local and international film festivals;
- apply theoretical and critical skills to practical tasks in the running of a film festival;
- independently research and produce a piece of critical writing, such as a festival report, review or opinion piece.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement. + Additional requirements + Placement
See also Unit timetable information