6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics
Associate Professor Beatrice Trefalt
Not offered in 2019
The unit is designed for students who want to acquire extended competency in Chinese, Japanese or Spanish, as relevant to specific professional settings. This unit deepens their knowledge of specific language and cultural practices.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- communicate competently on a range of topics and in a range of professional settings in a second or additional language;
- critique the specific cultural environment in which that language is deployed;
- utilise grammatical functions and an extended vocabulary with precision;
- utilise language learning and communication strategies;
- critically reflect upon their own experiences of learning and using another language.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information