6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Languages, Literatures, Cultures and Linguistics
Associate Professor Beatrice Trefalt
Not offered in 2019
The unit is designed for students who want to acquire extended competency in Chinese, Japanese or Spanish, as relevant to specific professional settings, while examining key issues in inter-cultural communication in real life settings.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- communicate competently in a professional setting in a second or additional language;
- analyse the specific cultural environment in which that language is deployed;
- evaluate issues around intercultural literacy and its importance in diverse workplaces;
- utilise language learning and communication strategies;
- critically reflect upon their own experiences of learning and using another language.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information