12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
English as an International Language
- Second semester 2019 (On-campus)
- Second semester 2019 (Online)
This unit introduces students to the practical aspects of teaching World Englishes in a variety of multilingual, intra/international contexts. It covers diverse topics that equip students with knowledge and skills to teach World Englishes. Topics range from instructional language in a World-Englishes lesson to curriculum development for World-Englishes courses, and from intercultural pedagogy to assessing multidialectal and intercultural competencies. Students are provided with the opportunity to observe the practices of teaching World Englishes, to develop their own World-Englishes curriculum, to practise teaching World Englishes, and to engage in critical reflections and evaluations of their own practices.
Upon completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate advanced understanding of the practical aspects of teaching World Englishes in a variety of international contexts;
- exhibit the skills to teach World Englishes in a variety of international contexts;
- develop a learning curriculum and syllabus for teaching Englishes for multidialectal/international communication;
- critically engage in evaluating practices of teaching World Englishes;
- Profile pedagogical ideas that are informed by the latest literature on teaching Englishes for multidialectal/international communication.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 288 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information