6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Term 3 2019 (Online)
This unit is taught in intensive mode. For teaching dates please refer to the websitewebsite (https://www.monash.edu/students/study-resources/arts/summer-winter/winter).
In this unit, students will examine key patterns of gendered violence and the policies, programs and organisations designed to respond to and prevent such violence. Students will identify a specific area for sustained investigation. Focused on this area, students will undertake a targeted review of the relevant academic literature and complete an independent research exercise. This research will be supervised by the Unit Coordinator with input from other staff as appropriate.
Upon successful completion of the unit, students will be able to:
- analyse and explain the policies, programs and organisations designed to respond to and prevent gendered violence;
- engage with a variety of critical and theoretical debates focused on patterns of gendered violence;
- identify and critically evaluate the extant literature about this issue;
- differentiate and appraise a range of methodological approaches that have been used to investigate patterns of gender violence;
- communicate in both oral and written formats about this issue;
- devise, prepare and complete a research project.
- students at 4th year level will be able to self-determine the research process, demonstrating a higher level of rigour and discernment in their assessment tasks.
Within semester assessment: 100%
Minimum total expected workload to achieve the learning outcomes for this unit is 144 hours per semester typically comprising a mixture of scheduled learning activities and independent study. A unit requires on average three/four hours of scheduled activities per week. Scheduled activities may include a combination of teacher directed learning, peer directed learning and online engagement.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Master of Public PolicyMaster of Public Policy (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/courses/A6028.html)
Graduate Certificate of Family Violence PreventionGraduate Certificate of Family Violence Prevention (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/courses/A4005.html)
Graduate Diploma of Family Violence PreventionGraduate Diploma of Family Violence Prevention (http://www.monash.edu.au/pubs/2019handbooks/courses/A5005.html)