This is a prestigious program of coursework and research in human nutrition and health for high achieving students who have completed the Bachelor of Nutrition Science, Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics, or a comparable degree. You will undertake research methodology training and carry out an independent research project on your selected topic, working closely with a supervisor who will provide you with individual guidance and academic counselling. The course offers a pathway to higher level research in human nutrition and health.
Honours - Course
This course entry applies to students commencing this course in 2019 and should be read in conjunction with information provided in the 'Faculty information' section of this Handbook by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences.
Unit codes that are not linked to their entry in the Handbook are not available for study in the current year.
Admission and fees
1 year FT, 2 years PT
You have a maximum of 2 years to complete this course including any periods of intermission and suspension, and must be continuously enrolled throughout.
Mode and location
Bachelor of Nutrition (Honours)
These course outcomes are aligned with the Australian Qualifications Framework Level 8 and Monash Graduate AttributesAustralian Qualifications Framework Level 8 and Monash Graduate Attributes (http://monash.edu.au/pubs/handbooks/alignmentofoutcomes.html).
Upon successful completion of this course it is expected that you will be able to:
- critically review the scientific literature in your discipline
- understand the processes involved in the design, development and implementation of a research project
- develop a proposal for a research project and apply for ethics committee approval
- execute and analyse a research project, or a set of studies
- be proficient in computer based data manipulation, analysis, presentation and word processing
- write up scientific work in a report suitable to submit for publication
- demonstrate communication skills in both oral and written presentation to a specialist scientific audience
- refine or acquire a range of technical skills appropriate to your project
- gain insight into the research process in an area relating to the health sciences.
This course consists of a combination of coursework and research. You will develop advanced theoretical knowledge and research methodologies appropriate to your area of focus and plan and execute a research project under the individual guidance of an academic supervisor.
This course comprises 48 points including a blend of research (42 points) and coursework (6 points).
You must complete:
- Research skills (6 points)
- Honours research project 1 (18 points)
- Honours research project 2 (24 points)
Progression to further studies
Successful completion of this course may provide a pathway to a Monash master's by coursework degree, and if admitted you may be eligible for credit.
Successful completion of this course may also provide a pathway to a higher degree by research.