This program provides doctoral (PhD) students with the opportunity to develop expertise in their chosen discipline through the completion of a supervised research project.
Each student is also supported through a development program aimed at building the knowledge, skills and abilities that will help them to become more effective researchers, and develop general professional skills of value to prospective employers in academia, industry, government and the broader community.
This program is offered by the Arts Research Graduate School, and is also applicable to students studying externally.
All PhD students will be required to undertake compulsory training in the following areas:
- Monash Graduate Research Induction (online)
- Research Integrity (online)
- faculty induction, including occupational health and safety (where required)
- professional development as part of the Monash Doctoral Program.
Professional development component
Students must, in consultation with their supervisor(s), satisfactorily complete a minimum of 120 hours of graduate research professional development activities offered or recognised by the University:
- 60 hours (minimum) of professional development activities offered or recognised from the 'Excellence in research and teaching' category
- 60 hours (minimum) of professional development activities offered or recognised from the 'Professionalism, innovation and career' category.
Students will discuss with their supervisors which optional activities best suit their interests and area of study and complete any mandated activities. Students are required to update their supervisors on their progress toward achieving the required hours of professional development activities.
Students may also be directed or encouraged to attend and make presentations at various forums throughout their enrolment.
For detailed information about the options available in this PhD program, visit the Monash Doctoral ProgramMonash Doctoral Program (http://www.monash.edu/graduate-research/future-students/phd) webpage.
0020 Doctor of Philosophy