6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This is a core unit in the Visual Practices sequence, and is one of four 1st year units. This unit provides students with a further exploration of a broad range of approaches to production methodologies in contemporary visual art for those wishing to work in the arts industry. Topics are delivered in an intensive series of workshop environments and will include experimentation with a range of materials, techniques and conceptual approaches. Students will be encouraged to develop inventive solutions to a series of projects set around a variety of themes and concepts appropriate to each workshop. Teaching methods involve technical demonstrations, critical dialogue, class discussion and evaluation. Safe and sustainable approaches to fabrication techniques and materials are promoted as core values in the unit.
On successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Draw from their experience through different disciplines in the semester and previous VPR units;
- Develop conceptual solutions to projects set across a range of fine art media;
- Experiment with production methods of various mediums used in contemporary visual art practices;
- Apply strategies of observation, analysis and experimentation across the developmental process;
- Understand and utilise interdisciplinary approaches across contemporary visual art practices at both individual and collaborative levels;
- Contextualise their work and its material rationale within a broad field of contemporary visual art practices;
- Understand and apply the rules of occupational health and safety appropriate to sustained independent studio practice and in order to collaborate safely with peers.
100% mixed mode assessment (based on two 6-week modules, by folio for both)
12 hours per week, including 4 hours of taught studio and 8 hours of personal study and studio practice
See also Unit timetable information
Entry into Bachelor of Visual Arts course