6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Gippsland Centre for Art and Design
Not offered in 2017
Students will investigate the interrelationship of art forms such as film, theatre, dance, performance, poetry, literature, popular culture and the mass media with the visual arts. Individual exploration of themes, subject matter, techniques and materials will be encouraged within studio practice based on these investigations. As well as producing a folio of work, students will be expected to keep a journal which documents in visual and written form their investigations, progress and development. Studio practice may be undertaken in complementary areas such as painting, photography and sculpture.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have an understanding of the value of a broad range of source material and have extended and broadened their research abilities
- be critically aware of their own work in terms of formal, technical and conceptual aspects and be able to discuss this verbally and in written form
- have developed an appropriate strategy in order to establish momentum and working procedure
- have some ability to communicate the concerns and issues in their work in relation to the wider social culture
- observe and employ occupational health and safety appropriate to this unit of study.
Studio 80% + Journal 20%
12 hours per week, comprising: 4 contact hours and 8 independent study hours
See also Unit timetable information