6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit provides an introduction to aspects of management relevant to the needs of the professional mechatronics engineer. Students will be introduced to a range of topics including the role of a manager, organizations, financial management, marketing and planning, legal issues and professional ethics.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe the skills, roles, styles and techniques of an engineering manager in the context of an organisation.
- Assess different project management techniques.
- Apply accounting principles to analyse basic financial statements that enhance business decision making.
- Describe the basic marketing principles and techniques of strategic business planning.
- Analyse important legal aspects of contract, negligence, and intellectual property.
- Describe the elements of professional behaviour and the engineering code of ethics.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component (assignments, tests, mid-semester exams, laboratory reports) and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours week lectures and 2 hours week tutorials and 7 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information