6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Zhe Liu (Clayton)
Dr Madhavan Shanmugavel (Malaysia)
Kinematics: position, velocity and acceleration; relative motion analysis and applications for particles and rigid bodies; Dynamics: translational and rotational motion of free and constrained forces, their origin and significance; equation of motion, principle of impulse and momentum, principles of work and energy; Analysis of planar motion. Fundamentals of mechanical vibrations. Strength of materials: stress and strain in 2D and 3D space; Hookes law; Shear force and bending moments, moments of area, deflection of beams; Equilibrium and compatibility equations; Stress and strain transformation; Mohr circle; Simple failure criteria; Elastic instability --- buckling.
At the successful completion of this unit you will be able to:
- Describe fundamental principles of kinematics of particles and rigid body motion in a plane.
- Describe fundamental principles of kinetics of particles and rigid body motion in a plane.
- Apply the principles of kinematics to solve questions of particles and rigid bodies.
- Apply the principles of kinetics to solve questions of particles and rigid bodies moving in a plane.
- Identify the key concepts of Mechanical of Materials (MOM).
- Apply concepts of MOM to bending and torsion, and combined stresses.
- Apply concepts of MOM to transformation of stresses, and failure theories.
Continuous assessment: 40%
Final Examination (2 hours): 60%
Students are required to achieve at least 45% in the total continuous assessment component and at least 45% in the final examination component and an overall mark of 50% to achieve a pass grade in the unit. Students failing to achieve this requirement will be given a maximum of 45% in the unit.
3 hours lectures, 3 hours of practice/laboratory classes and 6 hours of private study per week
See also Unit timetable information
Must have passed 42 credit points