12 points, SCA Band 2, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Full year 2017 (Day)
This unit provides advanced instruction on experimental design and data analysis and develops skills in critical thinking and examination of the scientific literature. Students will also examine appropriate Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental issues and learn about the ethical requirements associated with research involving humans and animals. As a part of this unit, students will convene and present a research symposium. This unit relates strongly to the Science Graduate Attributes and provides support for students wishing to develop a career in research science.
On completion of the unit, students:
- will understand experimental design and sampling methods relevant to their research project;
- can tailor research design and experimental protocols, giving consideration to available resources, occupational health, safety and environment requirements and research ethics;
- can critically analyse articles from the scientific literature;
- can present scientific ideas and the results of their research (orally and in writing) clearly and effectively, choosing appropriate materials and presentation styles for general and scientific audiences;
- can manage their work requirements, both independently and as a member of a team;
- will have demonstrated an ability to apply the University's Occupational Health, Safety and Environmental requirements appropriately within the context of their research discipline;
- will have demonstrated an ability to apply the University's requirements regarding the ethics of conducting research on humans and/or animals appropriately within the context of their research discipline.
Approximately four hours of lectures/workshops per fortnight for 12 weeks (one semester).
See also Unit timetable information
Completion of the requirements for levels one to three of the Bachelor of Science and entry into Master of Science Preliminary