6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
In this unit you will undertake a science based industry placement of at least 80 hours, where you will put in practice the knowledge and skills developed in your course. Pre-placement workshops will support your preparation for the placement and develop an understanding of science based professions, the work culture, and the skills and attributes required for the workplace.
Preparation for this unit must start in semester one. You are responsible for identifying your own placement and have this approved by the Unit Coordinator prior to the start of the semester. During semester one, employment preparation
workshops will be offered, including how to approach potential employers. If you have difficulties with finding a placement you should contact the Unit Coordinator.
On completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Identify and convey the knowledge, skills and attributes required for the professional workplace in a relevant science setting.
- Demonstrate critical reflective practice in the assessment of their personal strengths and development needs in the context of their work-readiness and career planning.
- Review and reflect on the insights gained from the immersion in a professional setting, and the impact of this experience in their career development.
- Actively seek out and act upon constructive feedback.
Reflective journal: (50%)
Interview of a professional: (35%)
Interview practice (15%)
Hurdle requirements: Pre-placement workshop and test (hurdle to commence placement) plus completion of an approved industry placement of at least 80 hours
- Pre-placement workshops: 2.5 hours
- Industry placement: at least 80 hours
See also Unit timetable information
72 points towards the completion of the course, with at least 48 points of science units.
Completion of Finding a placement workshop
Secured industry placement, approved by Unit Coordinator
Enrolment in this unit requires the approval of the Unit Coordinator.
Students who do not complete the listed prerequisites and the approval of the Unit Coordinator will have their enrolment discontinued from their unit before the commencement of the semester.