24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Enrolment in Semester 1 or Semester 2 offerings are only available to international students with permission of the Department of Medical Imaging and Radiation Sciences.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Full year 2017 (Day)
Supervised participation in a research project in medical imaging. An in depth consideration of the moral and ethical issues surrounding research, sources of information, quantitative and qualitative research methods and current trends in research in medical imaging. Skills will be achieved in how to construct a research proposal and critically analyse the literature students on the basis of the student's selected research project. Students will collect and analyse data according to the requirements of their selected project. Further, students will write a research article according to journal guidelines and prepare an oral and poster presentation of their research project.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Present a comprehensive and critical description of the scientific research process;
- Critically differentiate between a qualitative research design and a quantitative experimental design and justify their application within clinical medical imaging;
- Create a literature review and research proposal based on a selected topic within medical imaging and which reflects a critical awareness of the moral, ethical and legal responsibilities of scientific investigation;
- Demonstrate the capacity to search the scientific literature to obtain related information and collate and critically review this literature;
- Collect and analyse data related to the research project;
- Synthesise the findings of the collection and analysis phase of the project through the development of a written piece of scientific writing in the format of a journal article;
- Communicate the findings of the research project via an oral presentation and poster.
- Literature review (5,000 words) (15%)
- Research proposal (1,500 words) (10%)
- Final report (10,000 words) (55%)
- Oral presentation (10 mins) (10%)
- Poster (10%)
- Research diary
- All elements of assessment must be passed to pass the unit.
A blended learning approach comprising a combination of online, face-to-face and self-directed learning.
Unit discontinuation and penalty dates for these units may be different to other units taught in the same teaching period.
Please refer to the information available on the Faculty's non-standard teaching datesFaculty's non-standard teaching dates (http://www.med.monash.edu.au/enrolments/non-standard-dates.html) page to avoid academic and financial penaltiesacademic and financial penalties (http://www.monash.edu/enrolments/processes/change/add-or-discontinue-units#penalties).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Levels 1, 2 and 3 of the BRadMedImag.