6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
- Summer semester A 2017 (Day)
Students must submit valid preclinical documentation, as listed in the course handbook, to Administration staff by the deadline specified and communicated to students. Failure to submit these mandatory documents may result in students being unable to complete the course.
PTY4172 continues to develop the five themes upon which the four year curriculum is based. These are:
- Theme 1: Personal and Professional Development;
- Theme 2: Population, Society and Health;
- Theme 3: Fundamental Knowledge of Health Science;
- Theme 4: Applied Practice; and
- Theme 5: Research.
Delivery of physiotherapy services and ongoing case based learning provide opportunities for integration of the different themes within the course. Students undertake a clinical attachment (5 weeks) during this unit, providing them the opportunity to apply integrated knowledge and skills from previous learning in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy to acute, subacute or community patient care.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Demonstrate professional behavior in patient care, client rights, commitment to learning, teamwork, and legal and culturally sensitive practice.
- Communicate appropriately and effectively across written and verbal mediums, with clients, staff, and other health care stakeholders.
- Tailor knowledge and skills to effectively assess patient needs, including selection of relevant measures of health indicators and outcomes.
- Analyse and plan appropriate patient interactions, including patient-centred goal development, and the selection of appropriate interventions.
- Apply evidence-based practice in patient care.
- Critically analyse risks and adverse events associated with client assessments and interventions.
Clinical placement: 32 hours per week x 5 weeks.
- Assessment of Physiotherapy practice (APP) (100%)
- Professional conduct used to encourage professional practice.
- Attendance and participation to ensure adequate attendance at clinical placement.
- Learning needs form for students to reflect on their learning needs and communicate these to the clinical placement supervisors.
- Clinical log to enable tracking for Accreditation purposes.
- Self assessment using APP and feedback conference.
Achieving 50% on Items 1-6 and on Items 7-20 inclusive on the APP for each clinical core placement to encourage students to achieve a new graduate standard across all components of the APP.
- Achieve a pass in all summative assessments to ensure that students achieve an adequate outcomes on all summative tasks.
Note: Students must submit valid police check, WWC check, first aid certificate and annual CPR update documents to be signed off by administrative staff by the Wednesday prior to the first scheduled clinical placement in order to participate in clinical placements
Contact hours are 32 hours per week for 5 weeks.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in course 3868, 3891, M3002, M3003.