6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit gives students the opportunity to further develop the ideas concepts, materials and processes begun in Painting 2A units. Students will extend the establishment of an individual and self directed practice within the broad parameters of the painting discipline. Methods and materials specific to the painting discipline will be demonstrated and practiced. Students will be encouraged to develop further appropriate links between these methods and other means of creative self-expression. Set projects will require students to develop technical skills hand in hand with their understanding of concepts of current relevance.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have acquired further discerning and critical awareness in relation to design, selection of materials, working techniques, and conceptual development associated with set exercises and self-generated projects
- have further increased technical and aesthetic fluency, and continue to initiate, develop and express personal aesthetic solutions in the medium of choice
- demonstrate their apprehension of the importance of research to art practice
- be able to present their work in critique sessions with increased confidence as to its theoretical and historical rationale
- increase their confidence in their ability to communicate (in oral, written and visual form) responses to contemporary issues of both technical and conceptual relevance
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the studio, and be able to collaborate and co-operate safety and productively within the studio environment.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including six hours of taught studio and six hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to BFA course
FNA1202 or FNA1212