6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Not offered in 2017
This unit gives students the opportunity to further develop the ideas concepts, materials and processes begun in the corresponding Painting 1A unit. Students will begin to establish an individual and self directed practice within the broad parameters of the painting discipline. Methods and materials specific to the painting studio discipline will be demonstrated and practiced. Students will be encouraged to develop appropriate links between these methods and other means of creative self-expression. Set projects will require students to develop technical skills hand in hand with their understanding of concepts of current relevance.
On successful completion of this unit, students will:
- have explored in greater depth a wide range of processes and procedures that derive from or relate to painting- collage, processed and found images, mixed media, and new and lens based media
- have further developed and tested new painterly strategies
- have considered and tested their work in the context of historical and current visual art practices
- have developed a competence and sensitivity in the appropriate selection and manipulation of materials to ideas
- understand and apply the principles of occupational health and safety practices in the studio.
Folio of studio work:100%, of which at least 20% will be assessed before mid-semester.
12 hours per week, including four hours of taught studio and eight hours of personal study and studio practice.
See also Unit timetable information
Admission to an Art & Design course or permission for all other students
FNA1202 or FNA1212 or FNA1222