6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Teaching Period 1 2017 (Online)
- Teaching Period 3 2017 (Online)
- Teaching Period 5 2017 (Online)
The collective aim of these units is to increase students' understanding of theoretical and methodological aspects of research, develop analytic, research and communication skills, as well as provide students with advanced knowledge in the science and practice of psychology.
The research project meets the requirements of the Australian Psychological Society for Associate Membership.
The aim of PSY4403 is to enable students to produce a high quality research project component, consisting of the production of a research project methods section, and research project data accumulation.
This unit forms part of students' undertaking of a supervised research project that aims to provide training in both discipline specific and generic research skills.
The methods section of the GDPA research report will consist of a description of the methods to be used to answer the research questions, and the accumulation component of the research project will consist of accumulation of research data via the conducting of experiments, surveys, and database access.
Students will be provided with course materials and guidance to help them produce high quality research methods and data accumulation research project components, and to coherently synthesise these into the overall research project.
The development of these skills and their application to the production of quality research method and data accumulation components will build on students' research and writing skills developed in previous courses.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Explain how their own research fits into a broader research context;
- Prepare a description of the research methods that will be used to appropriately answer the research project's research questions;
- Develop and demonstrate high level skill in writing up the research methods section of a research report;
- Acquire research data that can be appropriately analysed and used as the basis for answering research questions and testing research hypotheses;
- Select and justify the selection of appropriate statistical and other analysis methods;
- Communicate the processes involved in the design, development and implementation of a research project, and reflect on individual transferable skills and characteristics relevant to professional research
- Research methods of the research project (1,100 - 1,400 words) (45%) (hurdle)
- Graduate attributes presentation (3 minutes plus 2 minutes questions) (15%)
- Data report and statistical analysis plan(1,000 - 1,200 words) (40%) (hurdle)
Students should expect to spend an average of 20-25 hours per week per unit
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Completed Bachelor's Degree and a major sequence in psychology approved by the Australian Psychological Society or qualification assessed as equivalent by the Australian Psychological Society, with a distinction average (70%) for third year psychology units.
Must be enrolled in Graduate Diploma of Psychology Advanced (M5003)