6 points, SCA Band 3, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
Department of General Practice
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit has been created in collaboration with the Department of General Practice for students undertaking studies in ONE of the following three topics:
- Child health
- Women's sexual and reproductive health in General Practice
- Health care for older people.
Students undertaking this unit must choose only one topic. Each topic is equivalent to 6 credit points.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Develop a systematic and evidence-based approach to the diagnosis and management of child health issues which commonly present in the Primary Health Care setting
- Assess child development using valid and reliable assessment instruments, determine deviations from the norm and formulate appropriate management strategies in the Primary Health Care setting
- Formulate a comprehensive management plan surrounding child health by collaborating with other health professionals
- Analyse the psychosocial and environmental context of children's lives and apply this analysis to child health.
- Identify paediatric emergencies which commonly present in the Primary Health Care setting and formulate an appropriate initial management plan
- Effectively use the available literature to inform ongoing learning needs relating to child health
Women's sexual and reproductive health in General Practice
- Analyse the psychosocial context of women's lives and apply this analysis to women's sexual and reproductive health
- Develop a systematic and evidence based approach to the diagnosis and management of women's sexual and reproductive health issues which commonly present in the General Practice setting
- Evaluate those factors contributing to the prevalence of unplanned pregnancy and based on best available evidence formulate an appropriate response that addresses these issues in the General Practice setting
- Develop a systematic and evidence based approach to contraceptive counselling and counselling for unplanned pregnancy and sexual problems
- Critically appraise the evidence concerning hormone replacement therapy and screening for cervical, breast and ovarian cancer
- Evaluate the health outcomes of violence against women and formulate appropriate responses in the General Practice setting based on best available practice evidence
Health care for older people
- Critically analyse the patient-centred orientation of existing published guidelines for aged care, including aspects of patient experience and expectations as determined by their psycho-socio-cultural environment
- Create and justify a database of resources and processes that will optimise team-based care of the aged, including available community-based supports
- Analyse a small self-audit of aged patients who take multiple medications (or attend multiple healthcare providers) and develop a strategy to optimise patient safety and the management of medico-legal risk
- Create a plan for quality improvement in one area of aged care that is informed by evidence-based assessment and practice
See individual topic guides for details - some topics will require students to write up cases on patients they have seen in practice, to write up journals based on clinical activity and/or to perform audits on clinical activity
- Case report (1,500 words) (20%)
- Case scenario report (1,000 words) (10%)
- Individual structured oral presentation (20 minutes) (30%)
- Clinical decision tasks at the end of each module (up to 2,500 words in total) (10% for each module) (40%) (hurdle)
Throughout this unit there are a number of activities (eg: discussion forums, individual wikis, group wikis, quizzes and virtual patients).
Satisfactory participation in ALL of these activities is a requirement in order to progress through this unit.
Women's sexual and reproductive health in General Practice (available Semester 2, 2017)
- Clinical decision task (case study 2,000 words) (25%)
- Clinical research tasks (amounting to a total of 6,000 words) (50%) (hurdle)
- Clinical research task (audit of current practice in one of the areas of contraception, screening or menopause (2,000 words) (25%)
Health care for older people
- Therapeutic Research Task - Analysis of guidelines (1,500 words) (25%)
- Therapeutic Research Task - Development of resources (1,500 words) (25%)
- Therapeutic Research Task - Audit (1,500 words) (25%)
- Therapeutic Research Task - Plan for quality improvement (1,500 words) (25%)
Equivalent of 12 hours a week in 6 credit point units run over 12 weeks
See also Unit timetable information