6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- Second semester 2017 (Online)
This unit specifically addresses the fundamental requirements for effective planning, leadership and the provision of definitive care for the complex retrieval and repatriation of sick and injured patients, both within the specialised aeromedical and also in non-specialised (commercial aircraft).
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to;
- Describe the facilities and equipment available on non dedicated aeromedical airlines (including commercial airlines) to facilitate care of the patient during flight;
- Explain the implications of common international travel conventions and legal requirements related to moving patients, equipment and drugs from port to port to the successful and safe retrieval of the patient;
- Predict the specific effects of altitude on susceptible medical, surgical and traumatic conditions;
- Generate pharmacotherapeutic and fluid administration plans to manage common conditions requiring aeromedical transport, demonstrating effective forward planning to manage potential complications that may arise;
- Formulate holistic patient care plans appropriate to the professional practice level of the student, demonstrating a comprehensive knowledge of medical equipment;
- Devise clinical management strategies which will predict and prevent potential aeromedical problems which affect safe and efficient patient transport;
- Online MCQ quiz (10%)
- Final exam (MCQ, SAQ and Case studies) (2 hours) (40%) (hurdle)
- Portfolio (3000) (50%) (hurdle)
Off-campus attendance requirements
Students will be expected to complete at least 6 hours of distance education directed learning and a minimum of 6 hours of private study and self-directed learning per week.
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Emergency health and paramedic practice
Must be enrolled in one of the following course codes: 3876, 3877, 3878, M6015