6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
School of Nursing and Midwifery
- Second semester 2017 (Flexible)
This unit aligns the requirements of safety and quality frameworks including the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (NSQHS) with clinical governance processes in the management and delivery of clinical nursing and midwifery services. Students will be provided with opportunities to critique the effectiveness of continuous quality improvement strategies for the purpose of risk reduction in the clinical setting.
The content is delivered in three modules. The first module examines concepts related to clinical governance. The second explores health care safety and considers its relevance to nursing leadership in a range of clinical contexts. The third examines organisational strategies in nursing and health care that require operationalization of quality programs.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
- Examine risk management [policies or plans] in nursing and midwifery service delivery for inclusion of concepts of safety, quality and clinical governance;
- Describe the rationale for the alignment of clinical governance processes with Safety and Quality frameworks such as the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (NSQHS), in the management and delivery of clinical nursing and midwifery services;
- Critique the effectiveness of a range of continuous quality improvement strategies for the purpose of risk reduction in the clinical setting;
- Describe a successful quality improvement process in terms of impact and outcomes;
- Develop strategies to address an identified risk in a designated clinical service using a continuous quality improvement process;
- Evaluate nursing / midwifery clinical service development outcomes produced through a range of approved quality and safety activities.
- Written assignment 1 (2,000 - 2,500 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Written assignment 2 (2,000 - 2,500 words) (40%) (Hurdle)
- Multimedia presentation (15 minutes) (1,000 words) (20%)
Flexible: 2 hours per week lectures, tutorials and workshops; 10 hours per week self-directed learning (directed and self-directed reading).
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery