12 points, SCA Band 1, 0.250 EFTSL
Postgraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
Please note, this unit has had the following change/s during 2017: change to unit coordinator.
For previous handbook information please contact the Faculty office.
This unit examines foundations of knowledge for nursing and education for clinical practice. Knowledge generation through research, and the application and dissemination of that knowledge, are central themes of this unit. The development of a research culture as the cornerstone of professional nursing is emphasized. Research processes from various traditions are examined and their specific relevance to nursing in diverse practice settings is explored. The significance of evidence-based nursing in the context of the contemporary health care environment is highlighted. As a key feature of this unit, knowledge transfer and translation is examined in primary, acute and rehabilitative settings. Strategies for peer teaching and health promotion through teaching are developed through exploration of theoretical concepts and practical application in the classroom setting.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the concept of knowledge generation in professional nursing;
- describe philosophical underpinnings, methodologies and principles of research relevant to nursing practice;
- understand the generation of knowledge in nursing through the critique of research;
- discuss the ethical principles underpinning the research process;
- recommend strategies for the dissemination of knowledge to facilitate improved health outcomes;
- identify strategies for the translation of research evidence to nursing practice;
- describe and critique theories of learning;
- develop and implement plans for health teaching and promotion.
- Written / Multi Media Assignment - Teaching and Learning (3,000 - 3,500 words) (30%)
- Written Assignment - Research and Evidence Based Practice (4,000 words) (35%)
- Exam (2 hours)(35%)
10 hours a week: lectures 6 hours, tutorials 4 hours over 8 weeks. Please note: Students who undertake this unit in the summer semester will be on campus for 5.5 weeks intensive mode.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Nursing and midwifery