6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Dr Ian Munro (Peninsula)
Mr Eddie Robinson (Clayton)
This Mental Health Nursing unit draws upon student's prior theoretical knowledge, skills and attitudes from NUR2107. This unit will focus upon professional issues including self care, clinical supervision; utilising evidence based nursing interventions and preparation for clinical practice. This unit has a 4 week clinical component, where students will apply evidence based nursing care and interventions with mentally ill consumers and their carers.
Theoretical principles and standards of practice are derived from the ANMC National Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse, the ACMHN Standards of Practice for Australian Mental Health Nurses, current evidenced based care and associated legislation.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify the importance of emotional self care and reflective practice;
- utilize therapeutic approaches when collaborating with carers and clients;
- utilize knowledge of clinical manifestations and associated treatments with clients and carers to provide coordinated and effective care;
- identify and respond to the client's cultural and gender specific issues that affect the provision of safe mental health nursing care;
- conduct and document Mental Status Examinations (MSE) and risk assessments of clients who have disturbances in mood, thought, behavior and perception;
- demonstrate and apply knowledge of the Victorian Mental Health Act (2014) as amended;
- demonstrate professional behaviours, accountability, ethical decision making and satisfactory knowledge base for safe and coordinated practice in the mental health setting;
- recognize the importance of research in the role of the multidisciplinary team in the interdependent delivery of care; and
- practice in accordance with the ANMC Competency Standards for the Registered Nurse.
Clinical placement: Three (3) weeks (120 hours).
- Essay (2,000 words) (35%)
- One online MH nursing quiz (10%) (Complete prior to clinical)
- Examination (2 hours) (55%) (Hurdle)
- Clinical practice (Pass / Fail) (Satisfactory completion of clinical practice is required to pass this unit)
Workshops: 2 hours per week x 5 weeks.
Guided work (clinically case based scenarios): 1 hour per week x 5 weeks
Online quiz: 1 hour
Self directed readings: 1 hour per week x 5 weeks
Clinical placement (mental health): 3 weeks (120 hours)
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Must be enrolled in courses 0727 or 4514.