6 points, SCA Band 1, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
Ms Lorraine Walker (Peninsula)
Not offered in 2017
The aim of this unit is to introduce nursing and midwifery students to the legal system including the processes and institutions that impact on professional practice. Students will identify the law as it relates to the delivery of health services including professional standards and regulation, complaint mechanisms and relevant legal forums including the coroner's court. Students will be encouraged to explore the health professional's relationship and obligations owed to patients, patient families and professional colleagues in the various health care environments.
Upon successful completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and relevance of common law and statute law pertinent to health professional practice;
- Demonstrate an awareness of the legal implications of actions taken in professional practice;
- Analyse the legal implications of the health care professional relationship with clients, their families and other health care providers;
- Identify strategies, which may provide assistance in resolving legal issues that arise in the various domains of the health professional;
- Discuss the legal obligations of registered nursing and midwifery practitioners in the health care environment; and
- Critically reflect on own values about health illness, dying and death affects professional responses and interactions with others.
- Online quiz (10%)
- 10 x Worksheets (10%)
- Written assignment (1,500 words) (35%)
- Exam (45%)
Lectures/workshops two (2) hours per week, Tutorial one (1) hour per week.
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Only available to students enrolled in: 0727 Bachelor of Nursing or 2552 Diploma of Tertiary Studies or 3892 Bachelor of Nursing and Bachelor of Emergency Health (Paramedic) or 3953 Bachelor of Nursing Practice and Bachelor of Midwifery or 3963 Bachelor of Nursing Practice or 4506 Bachelor of Nursing (Community Health) or 4514 Bachelor of Nursing and Bachelor of Midwifery.