24 points, SCA Band 2, 0.500 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Mathematical Sciences
Dr Yann Bernard and Dr Andy Hammerlindl
- Full year 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 to First semester 2018 (Day)
Completion of a 'project and research skills' component along with one lecture topic chosen from the fourth-year offerings as approved by the coordinator. A list of the fourth-year lecture and project topics is available at enrolment. The 'project and research skills' component can take one of two forms:
- A major research project, in which the student is expected to contribute new results to the field of mathematics;
- A reading project, in which the student completes their mathematical background, along with a series of modules to develop research skills. Both types of projects contain a literature review component.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Read, comprehend and present advanced results from the mathematical literature including specialised research monographs and articles from refereed journals;
- Search the mathematical literature effectively;
- Conduct and/or apply mathematical research while adhering to high standards of mathematical scholarship;
- Plan, prepare and deliver oral presentations on specialized topics;
- Plan and write complex documents that interpret, synthesize, and generalize mathematical knowledge;
- Complete work requirements in an efficient and timely manner.
One lecture topic: 16.7% + Project and research skills: 83.3%