6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
School of Mathematical Sciences
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
This unit is an alternative to MTH2010 for students with a strong mathematical foundation.
Functions of several variables, partial derivatives, extreme values, Lagrange multipliers. Multiple integrals, line integrals, surface integrals. Vector differential calculus; grad, div and curl. Integral theorems of Gauss and Stokes. Use of a computer algebra package.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Understand and apply multivariable calculus to problems in the mathematical and physical sciences;
- Find and classify the extrema of functions of several variables;
- Compute Taylor series for functions of several variables;
- Compute line, surface and volume integrals in Cartesian, cylindrical and polar coordinates;
- Apply the integral theorems of Green, Gauss and Stokes;
- Use computer algebra packages to solve mathematical problems;
- Present a mathematical argument in written form;
- Understand and apply the formal definition of a limit to functions of several variables;
- Prove various identities between grad, div and curl;
- Develop and present rigorous mathematical proofs.
Examination (3 hours): 60% (Hurdle)
Continuous assessment: 40%
Hurdle requirement: To pass this unit a student must achieve at least 50% overall and at least 40% for the end-of-semester exam.
Three 1-hour lectures, one 1-hour workshop and one 2-hour support class per week
See also Unit timetable information
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Financial and insurance mathematics
A High Distinction in VCE Enhancement Mathematics or MTH1030; a Distinction in MTH1035; or by approval of the Head of School of Mathematical Sciences. In order to enrol in this unit students will need to apply via the Science Student Services officeScience Student Services office (https://www.monash.edu/science/current-students/admissionsstudy-optionsinternal-transfer_arch).