6 points, SCA Band 2, 0.125 EFTSL
Undergraduate - Unit
Refer to the specific census and withdrawal dates for the semester(s) in which this unit is offered.
- First semester 2017 (Day)
- Second semester 2017 (Day)
A mathematical research project chosen from a range of areas of mathematics and statistics, including astrophysics, dynamics, chaos, computing algorithm design, number theory, logic and meteorology.
On completion of this unit students will be able to:
- Appreciate the power of mathematics and its applications;
- Demonstrate research skills including accessing the existing literature, analysing data, and where appropriate developing and checking mathematical models;
- Apply critical thinking skills to using and analysing data collections both in the library and on the Internet;
- Demonstrate communication skills by presenting both an oral and written report on their work;
- Use technical word processing packages and graphics software effectively in the presentation of their work.
Project report: 80% + Progress reports: 10% + Oral presentation: 10%
This unit applies to the following area(s) of study
Permission from the Head of School - please contact the unit coordinator in the first instance.